Monday, April 20, 2009

Hola from Carrollton, Texas 2009-04-13

Monday
April 13, 2009

Dear Family,

Things are busy and great here! We have been doing so much teaching! It's amazing how I am still working as hard as ever, but we have more opportunities to teach people. In fact, all of our nights this week except for one are filled up with teaching appointments! It is amazing the change in the areas and I’m relieved that we don’t have to do so much door knocking! We have a goal with Alicia, an investigator, for a baptismal date for the 26th of this month!! It has been a great experience teaching her and seeing her grow!

We are working very hard with about three of our investigating families to get married. This is a common obstacle as many don’t have citizenship papers, have not yet divorced from an ex, or their spouse has no desire to do so. Another obstacle is that so many have to work so much in order to provide, that they can’t attend church. I don’t have much understanding about the economy right now except that many are having very difficult times, with many being out of work here. Please pray that these people will be able to overcome these stumbling blocks!

Last Monday we went and played futbal with our district/zone. Funny situation – our district is actually also our zone here!

I’m going to go get my haircut today so that will be nice to have done. I also sent one package home (WX) this morning. In it is some cookies called orejas (yes – ears) b/c they look like ears! You will have to wait to see ‘em! I also put in a bracelet for Kat. I am pretty sure that it is something that she would wear but wasn’t sure the rest of y’all so if anyone else wants one just let me know and I’ll get one for ya!

Went to both the Spanish branch yesterday and the English ward (well, parts of both). Went to Sacrament mtg. and Principals of the Gospel in Spanish and then to Sacrament mtg. and later relief society in English. We only had one Correlation mtg. with the Spanish mission leader so we were able to leave an hour earlier than we usually will.

Yesterday we also met a GREAT family, Family Gonzales! The parents (Miguel and Sulma) are from El Salvador and have lived in the U.S. for about 20 years. They have three daughters, Erica - 17, Claudia - 14, and Natalia - 4. He had requested a delivery for a free Finding Faith in Christ DVD, so we went to drop it off to him and his family.

Funny story: we went to knock on his door and there was no answer although we had called and arranged the previous day to drop by at that time. So, Hna. Brundage and I got back into the car to try to give him a call before we took off. We saw a man and his little girl walking down the sidewalk and we thought that they were so cute. So I got out and ran after him (he was headed the opposite direction and couldn’t see me) to talk to him. Well, he answered his phone when I got close enough to call out to him. I though that I was getting the shrug off like happens so often. Well, I told him I had something to give him and waited for him to finish his call and talked to his daughter and gave her a princess sticker while he wrapped up the call. Turns out it, he was Hno. Miguel and Hna. Brundage was on the phone with him! Right when he hung up, I see Hna. Brundage running to catch up to us! So funny! We went in, had a great, brief first lesson, talked about, and gave them the Book of Mormon.

Hope you all are doing great! Is the truck driver or his company going to pay for the damage? (Doug was traveling through a green light when the driver of a Pepsi delivery track made a right on red, swigging wide into Doug's lane. Since the Pepsi driver was 100% at fault, they are responsible for our repairs. Their truck only sustained a scratched bumper, but our little pickup didn't far quite so well.)


Take care and I love you all very, very much!
Hna. Richardson

No comments: