Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hola from Carrollton, TX

Monday

April 6, 2009

Dear Family,

These last couple of weeks has been packed! I am (as I guessed) here in Carrollton with Hermana Brundage! It has been a lot of work and great fun! We have a great, big area here. We cover Carrollton, Farmers Branch, a little bit of a city called The Colony, a bit of Plano (although Hna. has only been there once as the changes to the area have been recent), and Louisville. Wowie! I am also having a new experience in that we have a portion in our area that we are to teach in English! I feel so awkward praying and teaching in English sometimes I don’t feel bilingual at all, or even unilingual, rather half-lingual! So silly! But I am really enjoying the work here and love the members I have met so far since General Conference was yesterday!

Hna. Brundage is so cute, smart, charitable, and humble! I have been so blessed to have companions that have been such great examples of faith and love for others. I feel that I am growing bit by bit to be a better person and missionary. Sometimes I feel as though I would be lucky to become half of the missionaries that they are and know that with the Lord’s help I can become better.

Hna has a twin brother and like myself, is the fifth of five children! She also loves candy. I think more than I do! She wants to open a candy store someday!

Way to go Doug, being a good example to others! You really are such a good leader.

(This is in response to my sharing an experience Doug had. At a district music competition, because of their excellent reputation, Woods Cross High School was asked to perform last so all the other high schools would have a chance to hear them. One band director [I think from Roy, but I digress] particularly asked his bass trombone player to pay attention to the WX bass trombonist, who is Doug. This young man was so impressed; he talked to Doug afterwards asking for some tips and direction to improve his playing. A day or two later, Doc Shannon got a phone call from this other teacher relating that for the first time, his bass trombonist after talking with Doug had spent an hour practicing! Doc embarrassed Doug by sharing this with the Jazz band at one of their practices.


But then at the mandatory parent meeting for the music trip, Doc brought it up again.
In giving direction and expectations for the music trip, it was mentioned by Mr. H (Choir director) that you never know when you will influence someone else. To illustrate, Doc called out, “Doug? Doug Richardson? Where are you?” He then related this experience to the 400 or so people in this meeting.)

The baptism and confirmation for Hno. Alfonzo Hernandez was amazing! He is so happy and I know that he will continue to be great. He has such strong faith and has a great testimony of Jesus Christ! It was disappointing to have to leave Grand Prairie and not see him progress more. Hna. Brundage however, served in G.P. as well and we plan to go to the temple this month to see the sealing of the Hernandezs (not related to Alfonzo) and Rivera families.

Speaking of G.P., about a month or so ago I met for a short minute (as we had to go get investigators to church) a Sis. Graham (maiden name I think) at the church who is a friend of Pat Crookston. She said hello and I told her I would pass along her hellos to you all. I feel bad for forgetting for this long to do so!

I don’t remember if I told you all about church my last Sunday in G.P. but in case I didn’t, I’ll go ahead and share. All four of us Hermanas were invited to share our testimonies. It was really special although I felt so nervous inside! The second to last Sunday was also amazing! President Porter (Stake Pres. for Dallas) bore his testimony with the help of Hno. Weening to translate. He was so powerful and he loves the people so much! He is such a good example of love as he always greets people and even did so on his way out as he had to leave Sacrament Mtg. early to go to another mtg.

Great to hear that Kat and Susan won some prizes and that you all were able to go treat yourselves to some gelato! (We told her about going to Deseret Book’s Ladies Night during the Priesthood Session on Saturday, April 4.) I know that Susan will enjoy Temple Square and the movies!

I’m surprised to hear you are putting together an album for me although I am excited to get it after all of the work and love you have put into it Ma. There is no rush on it and I wasn’t even expecting one so take your time on it, and thank you for being thoughtful to make it for me! It means a lot! I’m also excited to get the picture from Jake and have been enjoying all that Jake, Lindsey, Maggie, and Ben has sent me!

I also sent one more box home so hopefully it arrives sometime soon! Let me know when it gets there!

I love you all! Hope you all are doing great!
With lots and lots of love, Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting news from Heather again. I really enjoyed these letters.

Ann said...

I have others I'll post asap now that I won't have house guests for a while. They only thing to keep me busy this week is getting my house back into order and finishing the album I'm making for Heather.