Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Email sent 16 February 2009

Happy President's Day!

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:17 AM

From:

102 BAPTISMAL DATES!!!

Texas Dallas Mission RECORD!!

Dear Family,

I received the BEST NEWS of my mission in a phone call last Tuesday!!! It was killing me that I had to wait nearly a week before I could tell you all! So, the news: even though we have not been back to Rio Grande (Texas) for quite some time, I feel that the time we spent there was DEFINITELY worth it! One night, Hna E____ said to me, "Run over there and talk to those people!"

So, I ran over to a young man and his sister. I started telling them about the Book of Mormon and how important it is in my life and in the life of my family. Well, we made an appointment with him for the following day, a Sunday. But then we were thoroughly disappointed to learn that he lived in Arlington –which is out of our mission boundaries!

He was so sincere and interested in the message I shared with him. We arranged with the Hermana missionaries in Arlington to set up an appointment for the Elders in his area to teach him! But this is not the only reason why I'm jumping for joy. I am filled with so much joy because this young man, A_____, is being baptized! With the help of the Lord, I was able to share in Spanish the message of the restored gospel and the Book of Mormon. My contact listened, and now is being baptized and will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost! This news came at the perfect time because I was feeling low in my abilities to speak the language. Since then many have told me how much I have grown in being able to speak in Spanish. Now, I am feeling more secure that I am doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

To clear up a bit of confusion in what I wrote last week concerning the English fast. That meant that for over a week our district was trying not to speak in English, only in Spanish, thus called a "fast from English" or an "English fast".

Thank you so much for the flowers. They were lovely! I say were because I took them to the funeral for Hna J____ on Thursday. We got back at 9 pm Tuesday and they had tried to deliver them about three or four in the afternoon. When we weren’t home, they took them to the office. We had to leave early Wednesday for zone conference before the office opened. And we didn't get home until 9 pm again that night. So, Thursday morning, we picked them up, I admired them and appreciated them greatly, took a couple of pictures with them and then we went to the funeral. I hope you don't want to kill me now :-) I'll be sure to send you the picture, so you can think twice before following through with your rash actions, he he!

Zone conference was Fantastic! Elder Packer and Sister Perry arrived at about 10 am (late) due to the weather the night before that had delayed them from leaving until early that morning. I learned a lot!

We then went to the temple for a session. I was reminded of when we went with Hna J_____. Her funeral was beautiful by the way. The family was able to hear two talks about the Plan of Salvation and in brought them so much comfort. I along with the other sisters sang two songs, one with the Relief Society and the other with the Young Women with Hna M____ accompanying.

So I have given it some more thought as to what I could use for my birthday. I would like so more red highlighter pencils. I gave one of my two away to an investigator and my other will not be around for too much longer. I bought the last set of conf talks from the Distribution center at the temple for my birthday.

So, you might want to kill me again but since we again were trying to make a session I didn't ask to see Pres or Sis Pres before going in. And when we were leaving, the sisters had an appt they needed to get to afterwards so we only had time to take like six pictures in front of the temple and then we left back for G.P. But, I'll be sure to do it and I will write down their names and put it in my wallet so I can remember!

I need to wrap this up now b/c since it is a holiday, we're using a member's computer, and Hna Escobar needs to get her turn now.

I love you all very, very, very much!
Love, Hna Richardson

P.S. The Valentines made our day majorly! Thank you for them! They were beautiful and amazing! Thank you so, so much!

3 comments:

Richardson Twins said...

Donating her Valentines flowers to the funeral instead of keeping them for herself - that sounds just like something Heather would do!

I am glad that she is having success in the missionary work.

Ann said...

When we received the snail mail letter telling us that Sister J____ had passed away, I thought briefly about trying to learn when and where the funeral would be so we could send flowers. As quickly as that thought entered my mind, it was followed by the thought that Heather and Sister Escobar were going to give her their Valentine flowers. So, being told that they did just that didn't come as a surprise. And even when I ordered the flowers, I passed over a bouquet that looked very Valentine-y, for one a little less so. It makes me wonder, if that too wasn't part of the plan.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Heather is also having wonderful adventures. We hope to have intrnet soon so we can do more posting.