Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Email sent 2 February 2009

How's it going?

Monday, February 2, 2009 10:00 AM

From:

Dear Family,

How is everyone doing? This week has been a strange one with the ice storm that came in last Tuesday [27 January 2009] afternoon. Our work has been a bit behind as a result, but that is to be expected. Hermano R_____ P____ and Hermana M_____ L_____ will be getting married on the 20th and Hno P____ will be baptized the 22nd. Hna M_____ is already a member. They have a little boy about 6 years old. Hna also has an 8 yr. old boy and an 18 or 19 yr. old boy. I haven't really seen the oldest, as he doesn't live with her because of some rebellion issues (although he is baptized himself). But the gospel is starting to make some differences in their lives although it still is chaotic. Hon. will be having his baptismal interview next Sunday night!

The cutest little girl, L_____ R____, from the branch was baptized Saturday. Their family is so cute, so sweet, and so good. The parents are from Guatemala. Hnas V_____ E_____, and myself sang (Spanish version) the Primary song that says, "I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain...I want to be the best I can and live with God again," while Hna Medlyn accompanied us on the piano. Somos no profesionales (We are not professionals)! But it was fun to do it for her! Unfortunately, L___ had a bit of a fever and didn't feel very well. And it didn't help that the hot water wasn't working! Poor girl, right?

Great news! The branch had about 145 attendance! If they continue to have that many attending regularly, then they may become a ward! All of the Sister Missionaries here in the Pioneer Branch here in Grand Prairie have been running into and also tracking down in-actives and working to reactivate them. The other Sisters are teaching a couple of part-member families! So, we are beginning to have some success!!! It has been really difficult to not have enough teaching appointments every night and backup plans with more backup plans, which then haven't worked out. We don't go finding (or knocking) after dark so we are somewhat limited after dinner. But sometimes we have met some people at the Rio Grande supermarket but haven’t been able to go there much because the sweet cart boy told us that the manager didn't like us and was getting upset with our presence.

Since the computers are being a bit sluggish and I don't feel like I am writing very well I will go ahead and send this off and write some more via snail mail. I also plan to send a package of things home. I have continually refreshed my mailbox but haven’t received an email yet (but we are here an hour earlier than usual so I think that you catching onto that may have not sent it yet. I'll check my mailbox once more before I leave but just in case, why don't you mail me a copy of your email via snail mail to me. Just a side note: the letter copies of the Dear Elders lag a lot behind when you send them through email. Wait!! I just got you letter. I only have 3 minutes left so I will just print it off! [They are limited to a short period each week on the computers to write home. It was 30 minutes when she was in the Missionary Training Center. I think it is 45 minutes now that she is in Texas.]

Love you all very, very much!
Heather/Hna Richardson

P.S. Hope you all are doing great!

P.S.S. Happy baptism anniversary Mom! Being on a mission helps me to understand why you remember that day so very well. [I was baptized 2 February 1968.]

No comments: