Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Email 9 February 2009

Hola Y'all!

Monday, February 9, 2009 9:47 AM

From:

Dear Family

How is life? We are doing well here! To answer your question, Hna E_____ and I are going to get our nails done today so we will feel good for Zone Conference Wednesday. We are having a 70 visit the conference (Elder Perry), so all three of the metro zones will be attending! [In the LDS Church, the Seventy is one of the Leadership Counsels that travel around training and strengthening the local leadership and members.]

I remembered that the temple Pres and Matron were family friends of Grandma and Grandpa, but I wasn’t able to remember their names. That and we were a bit short on time because we went with a member family. And it was past closing when we left. But I will be sure to ask for them the next time, but we only attend 3 times a year, when we can arrange it ourselves.

Hna J____ was admitted to the hospital last week because of very severe headaches. She was under heavy medication, which caused her to be mostly unconscious. She returned home from the hospital Friday and her husband returned home from Nicaragua Thursday night from visiting with his mom before her death and being there for her funeral. Hna J_____ is expected to have a week to live. The branch has been told to not visit or call the family to allow them to have this time together, which is positive. The members are very warm and loving here. In the past, many visited her each night taking in dinner, etc. But it is good for them to have this sacred time together as a family.

You said that you were getting tags for the pickup. Does that mean that you were going to go pickup tags for a vehicle or that the family bought a pickup truck that needs tags? If you did buy a pickup what does it look like and why did you buy it? [With the demise of our beloved 1989 Subaru, we needed to purchase a new vehicle. The credit union had a repo that we submitted the winning bid to buy. I told her about the truck in a snail letter. When I wrote the email, I forgot that she wouldn’t have received the snail letter yet. So she was confused.]

Since I bought the Spanish hymns and the Emma movie soundtrack, I think that I’ll be good for my Birthday. But I do appreciate music if you come across something good. Thanks for mailing off some things for me. I’ll be on the lookout for it. Did you receive my package from last week? I forgot to tell you the significance of the whoppers candy. It is from the first house I ever got in. One of the kids gave it to me! But since I did not put a note for it, I expect that some one has enjoyed it and that perfectly fine if so.

I have not checked the mail either today yet or Saturday because I came home from an exchange with Hna V____ (Hna M____ went with Hna E____) and I did not bother to go get the mail. Today we have another preparation day with the zone. We will go and play sports at a church gym.

The exchange went really well. But I after exercising, I felt so ill. I lost my cookies but was able to just miss my personal study and feel enough better to work normally the rest of the day. It’s amazing how even though we still have difficulties (like wishing that you would just die rather than be sick, he he!) Heavenly Father blesses us to be able to have strength to move forward! I know that our Heavenly Father loves, knows us, and wants us to be happy here and eternal joy with him after this life. I’m so grateful for His plan for our happiness with our families for forever!

It has been difficult doing an English fast and because I don’t have many words Hna has me try to describe it in Spanish to the best of my ability, and then say it in English if I can not communicate it clearly. We also take some time outs where we communicate at the end of the day in English for planning while still using all the Spanish that I do know. It is still hard, but coming along. That is to be expected though. I feel like most times I can understand what people are saying in lessons. But when the Holy Ghost is not present in situations, I do not have quite the same ability to understand or communicate back. I feel like I can communicate tons better than when I first came here, but I have a long ways to go! Especially since Hna E____ and V____ leave to go home soon!

[The English fast she is referring to is when she and her companion refrain from speaking English to help Heather (and any other missionaries) gain a greater command of the Spanish language. The Texas Dallas Mission is losing two native Spanish-speaking sisters in another few months. It is imperative that the remaining non-native Spanish speaking Hermanas beef up their language skills in the remaining time left.]

Hermana E____’s birthday is June 7th! I need to wrap this up b/c time is nearly gone! Love you all load and loads! I think of everyone often and miss you but love the work here so much that you can’t get me away from it!

Love you all! Hna Richardson

No comments: